Read stories, news articles, blog posts, and tweets about street harassment from the past week and find relevant announcements and upcoming street harassment events.
** Sign up to receive a monthly e-newsletter from Stop Street Harassment ***
Street Harassment Stories:
Share your story! You can read new street harassment stories on the Web from the past week at:
Many of the Hollaback sites
* Brooklyn Bike Patrol (NYC, USA): “Call us @ 718-744-7592 we escort women from subway stations to their homes safely in the late evenings hours.”
* Zero Tolerance Campaign (Mumbai, India): “Every woman in Mumbai, be it our mother, sister or friend has been groped or touched inappropriately at some point of time…As a campaign we have three major goals: 1) Spread awareness especially amongst the youth, that Sexual Harassment is just not acceptable and we need to be ZERO TOLERANT, be it victims or onlooker; 2) Empower women through imparting information about their rights and the existing laws to book the culprit and combat the menace; 3) Petition Shri. RR Patil through a signature campaign both online and offline. To strengthen sections 354 and 506, make them non bail-able, a move that is under consideration by the government but has not been implemented.
* maps4aid – Fighting Violence Against Women In India (India): An Innovative way to report incidents of Violence against Women, NGO Activities, Crisis Situations through Web/SMS/PhoneApps! using the famous Ushahidi platform and integrated with FrontlineSMS
In the News, on the Blogs:
* Yale Daily News, “BELDING: People are subjects, not objects“
* Safe Streets AZ, “Harassment-free Halloween?“
* Gawker, “Your New Subway Hero: The Groper Smacker‘” and The Frisky, “The Woman Who Beat Up Her Subway Groper Gets Animation Treatment“
* The Times of India, “Eve-teasing double-murder: Amboli girls to cite sexual harassment, says main complainant“
* Sian and Crooked Rib, “Comment on the New Statesman“
* Greater Kashmir, “World is Not Just Men“
* The Times of India, “Women’s commission chief seeks arrest of college girl’s murderer“
* Sign the Zero Tolerance Campaign’s petition calling for stronger enforcement of laws banning street sexual harassment in India.
* Contact the California sandwich chain Togo’s and tell them that trivializing street harassment in their television ad is NOT okay.
* Street harassment is not okay: Watch a new 2 minutes cartoon about street harassment
* Sign the petition to tell Toronto Police to stop blaming victims for street harassment and sexual assault!!
* Donate to Students Active for Ending Rape so they can mentor and teach students to advocate for safer campuses!
* If you’re in London, help a Ph.D. student out with her dissertation research by meeting to share your street harassment stories.
* Contribute to the Monday “Street Respect” series that highlights the type of stories we want to see instead of street harassment stories!
* Are you in Egypt? Use HarassMap to report your street harassers
* Have an iPhone? Download the Hollaback iPhone app that lets you report street harassers
10 Tweets from the Week:
2. aliciasanchez wish black men would understand it’s not personal when black women don’t always want to engage with them in public spaces+
10. thetrudz I’m 32. By age 25ish all women have heard all pick up lines, attempts to flatter, and street harassment spiels. Now they just repeat. Yawn.Share on Facebook