Read stories, news articles, blog posts, and tweets about street harassment from the past few weeks.
** Sign up to receive a monthly e-newsletter from Stop Street Harassment ***
Street Harassment Stories:
Share your story! You can read street harassment stories on the Web at:
Many of the Hollaback sites
In the News, on the Blogs:
* Amnesty International, “Maldives must investigate sexual harassment of detained women protesters;” Minivan News, “Amnesty calls on government to investigate allegations of sexual harassment of female detainees by police“
* Washington Post, “Metro anti-sexual harassment campaign goes live; ” CBS DC, “Metro Goes Digital To Crack Down On Sexual Harassment;” Fox 5, “Metro Launches Anti-Sexual Harassment Campaign;” DCist, “Metro to Kick Off Anti-Sexual Harassment Campaign in April;” Washington Post, “D.C. hosts first annual International Anti-Street Harassment Week;” WTOP, “Metro tackles sexual harassment on the transit system;” ABC 7, “Metro sexual harassment: WMATA upping efforts to combat incidents;” The Examiner, “Metro to fight sexual misconduct on system;” Washington Post, “Metro sets up sexual harassment Web site for riders“
* UN Dispatch, “Making India a Safer Place for Women“
* Ebony, “Interrupt Street Harassment“
* Ahram Online, “Sexual harassment in Egypt after the revolution“
* Women’s Law Project Blog, “Street harassment: A bigger problem than you may think“
* The Cathartist, “Street Harassment: My Experience“
* Today’s Zaman, “Expat starts Hollaback! İstanbul to tackle street harassment“
* The Marquette Tribune, “GAMBLE: Catcalls are not compliments“
* Navabharat.com, “Female Passengers Beat Up Bus Driver For Eve Teasing“
* Deccan Herald, “Eve teasers photos to be made public“
* Citizen Matters, “Bengaluru’s young working women living in fear“
* Daily Bhaskar, “Security concerns drive city women to ‘Candle March’”
* Take Two, “How Your Video Can Go Viral“
* Online News, “Ladies harassment incidents on rise on overhead bridge“
* I’m not your sassy Latina, “Street harassment in Providence“
* Feminist Teacher, “Create an Anti-Street Harassment PSA With Your Students“
* The Frisky, “How Do You Respond To Street Harassment?“
* The Indian Express, “CN & heard: Female cops face eve-teasing“
* India Today, “Crime against women on rise in trains“
* The Brink of Something Else, “Street Harassment and HollaBack“
* The Eastern Echo, “Feminists of color fight for equality“
* Huffington Post, “Street Harassment Shouldn’t be Part of the Female Experience“
* PreventConnect, “International Anti-Street Harassment Week Recap“
* Yemen Times, “Anti-Street Harassment Week“
* The Hindu, “Snap your fear!”
* Ms. Blog, “Sh*t Men Say To Men About Street Harassment“
* University of Toledo, “UT addresses street harassment during awareness week;” The Independent Collegian, “‘Stop Street Harassment’“
* Philly Now, “Gearing Up for International Anti-Street Harassment Day“
* Reston Patch, “Reston Woman’s Goal: Stopping Harassment“
* If you’re in the New York City area, take this survey about harassment on public transportation.
* Gay and bisexual men, take this survey about street harassment.
* Read the March e-newsletter from Stop Street Harassment recounting 12 activism initiatives that occurred globally.
* In Washington, DC, the transit authority officially launched their campaign against sexual harassment.
* The Adventures of Salwa campaign has a hotline for sexual harassment cases in Lebanon: 76-676862.
* In Bangalore, India, there is a helpline for street harassment 080 – 22943225 / 22864023
15 Tweets from the Week:
1. @smokenfog “When dad suggested me to wear burqa to save myself from street harassment, I shouted, why should I wear burqa? Y punishment for me?” Veena
3. @meadowgirl @FatGirlvsWorld uh, that’s a good thing! street harassment ain’t sexy even if YOU are!
4. @JennNiff Woop, Saturday night! Or as it shall now be known, street harassment night.
6. @niabentall Fighting street harassment, telling off one ten year old little stinker at a time
7. @Feminist_Dating Struggling to stay calm about the street harassment I’m experiencing today.
8. @Miami_Chica So this week was “International Anti-Street Harassment Week”. Lord knows this is something I support!
9. @ToolPackinMama Man…. “street harassment”… story of my life. For 40+ years of my life, I couldn’t walk ANYWHERE without getting yelled/screamed at FACT
10. @emmaclairekd street harassment should be illegal tbh
12. @sitcomofmylife I dread the coming of Summer. It’s street harassment season. There should be a Stand Your Ground law letting me punch them in the face.
14. @Amavijolie11 I don’t fuck with harassment… How u gonna see a girl on a street and then wait for her at a parking lot wtf old man gtf
15. @rapeSAsurvivors Society must remember that street harassment and sexual violence does not just affect heterosexual women.Share on Facebook