Read stories, news articles, blog posts, and tweets about street harassment from the past few weeks.
Street Harassment Stories:
Share your story! You can read street harassment stories on the Web at:
Many of the Hollaback sites
Street Harassment In the News, on the Blogs:
* Associated Press, “Wolf whistle billboard at NJ mall draws protest;” ABC News, “Sign Apologizes For Catcalling Construction Workers;” NY Daily News, “Construction sign begs forgiveness for catcalls, ‘but man you look good!’”; Sundance Channel Blog, “Pro-sexual harassment sign? Oh, hell no!”; Jezebel, “Construction Sign Explains Workers’ Whistling and Cat-Calling: It’s ‘Cause You Look Gooooood“; DC 101, Elliot in the Morning, “Sign Apologizes For Catcalling Construction Workers;” XO Jane, “Creepiest Construction Sign Ever Half-Heartedly Apologizes For Pervy Workers;” NJ.com, “Petition objecting to ‘whistling’ Princeton MarketFair billboard leads to its removal“
* Clutch Magazine, “Girls for Gender Equity Helps Girls Take Aim at Sexual Harassment“
* Democratice Underground, “Men Will Never Truly Understand A Day In The Life of Women. But Shouldn’t We Try?“
* Kitty Von Trubble, “Politics of poof: some reflections on dressing abroad“
* Levi Grayshon, “Is Your Behaviour Really Necessary, Mister?“
* In Our Words Salon for Queers & Co, “Reforming Catcalls: How to Be Affirming When Yelling at Someone in Public“
* The Life and Times of an Indian Homemaker, “Sometimes it seems like every single thing I do has the potential to be something ‘provocative’“
* WPix.com, “Subway Creep Snapping Photos Of Women’s Bare Legs“
* Jezebel, “Don’t You Dare Ask Me Why I Look Mad“
* The Sunday Guardian, “The last cat call: ‘Action heroes’ fight eve-teasing“
* Tea Leaf Nation, “Shanghai Subway Tells Scantily Clad Women To Expect Sexual Harassment“
* The Jerusalem Post, “Terra Incognita: You can’t sell Israeli liberalism”
* The Times of India, “Eve-teasers stab five of a family“
* The Nation, “Fighting sexual harassment in buses“
* After the attacks on women at Tahrir Square in Egypt this week, follow the hashtag #EndSH on twitter to find out what the next steps are to challenge the behavior and make the space safe for women.
* If you’re in Winnipeg, Canada, take this survey on street harassment.
* Activists in South Africa launched a new website about street harassment
* The anti-sexual harassment public service announcement signs are now up in several Washington, DC metro stations!
* Help fund a new film about street harassment
* The Stop Street Harassment book is available in paperback for $15.
* Submit art about street harassment for the VoiceTool Product exhibit in San Francisco, CA
* The Adventures of Salwa campaign has a hotline for sexual harassment cases in Lebanon: 76-676862.
* In Bangalore, India, there is a helpline for street harassment 080 – 22943225 / 22864023
20 Tweets from the Week:
2. @Sarahkasm #EndSH #StreetHarassment Brave young woman confronts harasser, has him at the police station within an hour. #Egypt https://www.facebook.com/deena.emad/posts/10151028644421131
10. @FeministaJones: Don’t try to holla at a woman that is out with her child(ren). <- it’s VILE, it’s RUDE. DISRESPECTFUL!Share on Facebook