Read stories, news articles, blog posts, and tweets about street harassment from the past few weeks.
** Sign up to receive a monthly e-newsletter from Stop Street Harassment ***
Street Harassment Stories:
Share your story! You can read street harassment stories on the Web at:
Stop Street Harassment Blog
HarassMap in Egypt
Bijoya in Bangladesh
Resist Harassment in Lebanon
Ramallah Street Watch in Palestine
Name and Shame in Pakistan
Safe Streets in Yemen
Many of the Hollaback sites
Street Harassment In the News, on the Blogs:
* Huffington Post, “Alarming assaults on women in Egypt’s Tahrir“
* Soundmigration, “Demonstration Against Sexual Harassment Attacked in Tahrir #endsh“
* NewStatesman, “Egyptian protesters against sexual assault are sexually assaulted“
* MSNBC, “Women brave attack to protest sexual harassment in Egypt“
* Women Under Siege, “It’s not a revolution for those left behind“
* Zaghaleel, “We said NO and they said YES“
* Sian and Crooked Rib, “My body is not your property – street harassment“
* ABC7, “Metro begins anti-sexual harassment ad campaign;” DCist, “Advocate Says It Will ‘Take Some Time’ to Determine Success of Metro’s Anti-Harassment Campaign;” TBD.com, “Here’s the 28 Metro stations with anti-sexual harassment PSAs“
* Express India, “Woman cops at the forefront in drive against eve teasing“
* Emily L. Hauser – In My Head, “Helping men get it: An analogy for harassment“
* Bandit Queen Radio Show on Street Harassment
* The Goddess Festival: Oshun Returns, “Street Harassment & Race: A Sliding Scale“
* After the attacks on women at Tahrir Square in Egypt this week, follow the hashtag #EndSH on twitter to find out what the next steps are to challenge the behavior and make the space safe for women.
* If you’re in Winnipeg, Canada, take this survey on street harassment.
* Activists in South Africa launched a new website about street harassment
* The anti-sexual harassment public service announcement signs are now up in several Washington, DC metro stations!
* Help fund a new film about street harassment
* The Stop Street Harassment book is available in paperback for $15.
* Submit art about street harassment for the VoiceTool Product exhibit in San Francisco, CA
* The Adventures of Salwa campaign has a hotline for sexual harassment cases in Lebanon: 76-676862.
* In Bangalore, India, there is a helpline for street harassment 080 – 22943225 / 22864023
* Report #streetharassment in Pakistan at @NameAndShamePk, email firstname.lastname@example.org, SMS 0314-800-35-68 or online at http://www.nameandshame.pk
15 Tweets from the Week:
1. @LeilZahra People who suffer sexual/gender harassment/violence need support, Refer those you know to @elnadeem or hotline 01009952374 #EndSH #Egypt RT
2. @josharpen Lovely man in surbiton just told me was going to ‘shag me in the arse’. When will women be able to walk around safely? #streetharassment
3. @nattie_fattie Wolf-whistled at on my way into town by a bloke loitering in the doorway of the bookies #streetharassment
4. @NavilaRashid Eyed down at the mosque of all places. The mosque. #NotClassy #Pitiful #StreetHarassment
5. @ssvik Forgot–because it’s summer & the heat has melted brains, it’s OK to harass #women walking down the street! #sarcasm #StreetHarassment #sick
6. @HollabackBXL #LifeIsTooShortTo catcall women. Why? It NEVER works! #streetharassment #hollaback
7. @amelia_glebocki I most often experience #streetharassment while buying alcohol. Looking younger than I am brings all the creeps out of the woodwork.
8. @jennpozner Public Service Announcement: Don’t name your fave deity w/a lecherous tone & a once-over (“God BLESS u baby!”) Just don’t. #streetharassment
9. @lsarsour @Salsabeel_Nasr ofcourse they do. Thy blame us for what we wear, time we choose to walk, how we act. It’s disgusting. #endSH
10. @RadWaZ Not that I encourage violence but I see it essential that women learn self-defense #Egypt #EndSH #Fem2 #women
11. @AbirKopty The fight against patriarchy will continue until full liberation! #EndSH
12. @NihalSaad if u r defending a woman from SH ..dont touch her thinking you will calm her down. You will only make her angrier…#ENDSH #sexualharassment
13. @MAbouelSeoud People in Egypt never fail to surprise me. I still couldn’t imagine that the women protesting against sexual harassment were harassed.#EndSH
14. @monzy_83 To #endSH:I’ve been getting SHed since I was 13. I’m used to it and u won’t frighten me off the st. Fuck off and get out of my way.#Egypt
15. @sondosshabayek Fighting harassment is 1 of the causes I cld choose to die for … Proud of @sallyzohney @MennaEssamF @sallyzohney @shadi_hagras #endSH
Share on Facebook