Nefsi chains against sexual harassment in Egypt
Read stories, news articles, blog posts, and tweets about street harassment from the past few weeks.
** Sign up to receive a monthly e-newsletter from Stop Street Harassment ***
Street Harassment Stories:
Share your story! You can read street harassment stories on the Web at:
Stop Street Harassment Blog
HarassMap in Egypt
Bijoya in Bangladesh
Resist Harassment in Lebanon
Ramallah Street Watch in Palestine
Name and Shame in Pakistan
Safe Streets in Yemen
Many of the Hollaback sites
Street Harassment In the News, on the Blogs:
* International Herald Tribune, “A History of Mob Violence“
* The Guardian, “Sexual harassment on public transport must stop“
* Gradient Lair, “Me. Black Men. Street Harassment. White Audience.”
* Mercury News, “Opinion: Egypt’s new president faces a test on violence against women“
* Sapphire Unbound: A Black Womanist Scholar Speaks her Mind, “Sexuality and Hair: The Day I became unwomanly and a butch“
* Trust.org, “Health and Science – The unromantic truth about ‘Eve-teasing’”
* Pygmy Loris, “Intimidation should not be a normal part of a woman’s daily routine“
* The Hindu, “Police to take steps to curb eve-teasing“
* The Nation, “Eve teasing in public parks on the rise“
* The Daily Star, “Egypt women speak up against sexual violence“
* Gradient Lair, “6 Common Derailment Tactics Used In Conversations About Street Harassment and Sexual Assault“
* Pro-Feminist Bro, “Street Harassment“
* XO Jane, “It happened to all of us: why casual sexual assault needs to stop being ‘just one of those things‘”
* Grazia Daily, “From Cat-Calling to Groping, Street Harassment is Everywhere…And It Happened to Me“
* Capitol Hill Style, “Discuss: The Catcall Conundrum“
* Al Jazeera, “Sexual violence rises in Egypt’s Tahrir“
* Al-Ahram, “Speaking up and speaking out“
* Egypt Independent, “Egypt women speak up against sexual violence“
* Ahram Online, “Breaking the silence: Mob sexual assault on Egypt’s Tahrir“
* Global Voices, “Egypt: Protest Sends Message Against Sexual Harassment“
* Heather is Desperate for Something, “Street Harassment”“
* Daily News Egypt, “Protest against sexual harassment encourages public dialogue“
* Bikya Masr, “Cover up, he can’t help himself“
* Write about your first street harassment experience as part of Blank Noise (India)’s Recall event.
* If you’re in London and are willing to share your street harassment experiences, contact a student doing research there! INFO.
* @RapeCrisisSth New research project on #streetharassment for the women off South London. Interested? Contact @rosie_ts or visit http://bit.ly/LabScF
* If you’re in Winnipeg, Canada, take this survey on street harassment.
* Activists in South Africa launched a new website about street harassment
* The anti-sexual harassment public service announcement signs are now up in several Washington, DC metro stations!
* Help fund a new film about street harassment
* The Stop Street Harassment book is available in paperback for $15.
* Submit art about street harassment for the VoiceTool Product exhibit in San Francisco, CA
* The Adventures of Salwa campaign has a hotline for sexual harassment cases in Lebanon: 76-676862.
* In Bangalore, India, there is a helpline for street harassment 080 – 22943225 / 22864023
* Report #streetharassment in Pakistan at @NameAndShamePk, email firstname.lastname@example.org, SMS 0314-800-35-68 or online at http://www.nameandshame.pk
20 Tweets from the Week:
1. @PsteinND Ladies, if you get in a taxi in #Cairo & the driver has a broken middle finger, get out. Was just groped in #Zamalek, he deserved it. #EndSH
2. @YLigtelijn . @monaeltahawy The only way men stop SH is when public and political leaders openly and firmly denounce it and punish aggressors. #EndSH
3. @sotsoy brilliant! “@IbnLarry: The Egyptian government should establish the same program #endSH http://yfrog.com/ocrn6ngj”
4. @ClareBonnet when will people GET that #streetharassment is a violation and it is not acceptable? will it be in my generation? or will my future kids
5. @SuzeMarsupial I think pub harassment is probably as endemic as #streetharassment . Just cause we’re making merry, doesn’t mean we deserve it.
6. @MaduduzoR Policemen harassing women on the street!! #streetharassment
7. @HollaBackBmore Wanna tell the MTA about #StreetHarassment on the bus? #RateYourRide call or text: 410-205-4559. http://ow.ly/c2M8f
8. @ghazalairshad Pls RT & help @noornoor1 find the Egyptian sexual harasser who drives a navy VW Jetta w/plate # ط ق ل ٧٨٤ https://www.facebook.com/noor.ayman/pos … #endSH
9. @sallyzohney To avoid harassment and wear her sleeveless shirts my friend pretends 2 b a foreigner and it works! Men let her be. Insane #endSH
10. @NihalSaad male: I am a human being, not an animal female: I am a human being, not a bra. #ENDSH pic.twitter.com/CXi1JYZb
11. @michabalon Don’t tell me its my clothes and don’t tell me its hard for ‘them’ to get married and don’t tell me it doesn’t happen. It happens. #endSH
12. @suzeeinthecity Anyone blaming #egypt sexual harassment on religious conservatism should take walk on Tripoli streets &experience the theory refuted #endSH
13. @cliffcheney ‘Safe Tahrir for Women’ Protest begins chanting. #endSH #Egypt #Tahrir #cairo http://twitvid.com/KIC0B
14. @michabalon Standing with a gun filled with pepper spray in #Tahrir against sexual harassment. #endSH pic.twitter.com/1Lly5TrJ
15. @marxroadrunner Oh joy men trying to out macho each other and deciding to use street harassment as a way to do so.
16. @HermasFawzy For years, Egyptian #women have put up with #sexual harassment, simply for walking down the street. no more silence !!
17. @aliciapees so this just happened on fb. my reply didn’t post. probably lucky it didn’t tbf… #streetharassment #MISOGYNY pic.twitter.com/RcZY4o1i
18. @Nicole_Pandolfo Also, why does it seem like sexual harassment on the street is accepted by society as a fact rather than being seen as totally outlandish?
19. @ShareefaEnergy Love this street harassment placard held by a woman in Libya, this applies internationally http://yfrog.com/odhmhgbj
20. @Mkpinbrooklyn It starts early, and it is not a compliment #streetharassment
Share on Facebook