Read stories, news articles, blog posts, and tweets about street harassment from the past few weeks.
Street Harassment Stories:
Share your story! You can read street harassment stories on the Web at:
Many of the Hollaback sites
Street Harassment In the News, on the Blogs:
* Glamour, “On Street Harassment“
* Ordinary Days, “Even Street Harassment Is Bigger Here: Or an apology to US feminist bloggers“
* Fat Heffalump, “On Street Harassment and Male Responsibility“
* Lawsonry, “Let Me Say No: Street Harassment and Disrespect“
* The Voice of Russia, “Sexual harassment in Russia“
* The Pioneer, “Chandigarh, a city of nightmares for women“
* The Old Jaw Jaw, “Every instance of street harassment ever“
* Africa Review, “Fighting Egypt’s sexual harassment epidemic, one step at a time“
* The Atlantic, “Dear New York: Please Make Subway ‘Grinding’ a Felony. Now.“
* Daily News, “Killer of sexual harassment victim arrested“
* STFU, Sexists, “Making the case for street harassment appreciation!“
* XO Jane, “It Happened To Me: I Had a Groper Arrested“
* CBS New York, “Cops: Man On Southbound No. 2 Train Exposes Himself To Female Passenger“
* Daily News, “Woman sues accused subway pervert boss for sexual harassment“
* New York is considering a bill that would make harsher punishments for engaging in unwanted sexual touching in public spaces.
* A Russian activist group made a viral video about street harassment and has proposed anti-harassment legislation.
* Stop Street Harassment welcomes and announces its new board of directors!
* Harlow Project Seeking Participants For Street Harassment Web Video Series
* Sign a petition about ending street harassment in Egypt.
* Contact Bowlmor and the New York City Transit to complain about this offensive subway ad.
* Activists in South Africa launched a website about street harassment
* The anti-sexual harassment public service announcement signs are now up in several Washington, DC metro stations!
* The Stop Street Harassment book is available in paperback for $15.
* Submit art about street harassment for the VoiceTool Product exhibit in San Francisco, CA
* The Adventures of Salwa campaign has a hotline for sexual harassment cases in Lebanon: 76-676862.
* In Bangalore, India, there is a helpline for street harassment 080 – 22943225 / 22864023
15 Tweets from the Week:
1. @Besito86 You never know when a catcall can lead to a verbal assault that can in turn lead to physical and/or sexual attack.
2.@kaatattackk I bet there is a positive correlation between men that slow down and stare/catcall/honk from their cars, and men who don’t get laid
3. @OhKelleh I genuinely wonder if guys who catcall think girls will turn to them and ask them for their number or something like seriously you are gross
4. @XedRegulus Did you know that back in the days of Vaudville, “Hello, nurse!” was a popular catcall?
5. @decaytourist “When you include the type of street harassment that queer people face in the street, it’s a much bigger group than just women.”
6. @jmsummers Thank you DC for reminding me why I carry pepper spray. Street harassment = not classy.
7. @devilherdue Instead of tweeting the particularly gross street harassment from this morning, I’ll just remind you that its a daily reality for women.
8. @wisemath Men: teach your sons, fellow male friends, cousins, nephews & brothers that STREET HARASSMENT IS NOT COOL. It’s bullying & scary. Just stopShare on Facebook