Street Harassment Stories:
Share your story! You can read street harassment stories on the Web at:
Many of the Hollaback sites
Street Harassment In the News, on the Blogs:
* The F Word Blog, “Spanish feminist subjected to harassment campaign“
* Lesoir.be, “Bruxelles punit les sexistes“
* Le Nouvel Observateur, “Harcèlement de rue : les femmes racontent le machisme“
* Women’s Media Center, “Native Americans Speak Out About Street Harassment“
* Torontoist, “New Mobile App “Not Your Baby” Calls Out Sexual Harassment“
* The Guilfordian, “Sexual harassment in Egypt escalates“
* Radio Free Europe Radio Liberty, “Baghdad Neighborhood Imposes Strict Dress Code On Women“
* Bikyamasr, “Sexual harassment awaits Egyptian girls outside schools“
* Washington Post, “In Egypt, a backlash against harassment“
* A Thrift Store, “Midge and I have a Chat About a Streetcar Named Anger“
* Cardboard Sunshine, ““The learning process is something you can incite, literally incite, like a riot.””
* SocialistAlternative.org, “Fighting back against street harassment“
* DelawareOnline.com, “Officials: Man exposed himself at beach restrooms“
* Alternet.org, “Porn Star Stoya Speaks Out on Street Harassment“; Jezebel, “I’m a Porn Star, and if You Harass Me I Will Punch You in the Balls“
* College Gloss, “Combating Street Harassment: What You Should Know“
* Sparkwood & 21, “The Story of My Sexual Assault on Muni in San Francisco“
* Harlow Project Seeking Participants For Street Harassment Web Video Series
* In San Francisco, there is a new arts-based anti-street harassment initiative called Little Bird SF
* Male allies won prestigious awards for their anti-street harassment initiatives this spring.
* Hollaback Istanbul released a new anti-harassment video featuring male allies
* In Washington, DC, Collective Action for Safe Spaces and Voices of Men acted out an anti-harassment skit on the Metro. You can do this in your city too!
* Talalo, an Afghan graffiti band, fights street harassment by putting messages on street walls.
* Denice Frohman, Poet, performs “Dear Straight People”
* Sign a petition about ending street harassment in Egypt.
* Contact Bowlmor and the New York City Transit to complain about this offensive subway ad.
* Activists in South Africa launched a website about street harassment
* The anti-sexual harassment public service announcement signs are now up in several Washington, DC metro stations!
* The Stop Street Harassment book is available in paperback for $15.
* Submit art about street harassment for the VoiceTool Product exhibit in San Francisco, CA
* The Adventures of Salwa campaign has a hotline for sexual harassment cases in Lebanon: 76-676862.
* In Bangalore, India, there is a helpline for street harassment 080 – 22943225 / 22864023
10 Tweets from the Week:
2. @alicexz I usually respond to sexual harassment on the street by 1.) INTENTLY TEXTING A NON-EXISTENT PERSON, or 2.) “No English!”
5. @mortari If you’ve never been catcalled or followed, then yes, you are missing information which is relevant to discussion of street harassment.
6. @TheCariLand Why do guys feel it’s ok to catcall out a car window or honk at females?
7. @TheFemaleWiz There’s a fine line between charming and creepy.On that note,there’s a place reserved in hell for dudes that catcall on ladies!Share on Facebook