Read stories, news articles, blog posts, and tweets about street harassment from the past few weeks.
Street Harassment Stories:
Share your story! You can read street harassment stories on the Web at:
Many of the Hollaback sites
Street Harassment In the News, on the Blogs:
* Eliminating the Impossible, “Street Harassment 102: When You’re Blind and a Woman“
* Washington Post, “In Egypt, a backlash against harassment“
* International Business & Law, “Brussels’ Offensive-Language Fines Highlight Widespread Sexual Harassment“
* The Raw Story, “It’s Really Time for the Harassment to End“
* South Dakota Public Broadcasting, “Street harassment affects lives of women and girls“
* Fair Observer, “Natasha Smith: Is This Egypt?”
* ArgusLeader.com, “Native women: Street harassment common“
* Art in Praxis, “Shift Happens: Street Harassment and Cultural Organizing“
* The Thang Blog, “Street harassment and being treated like a lady“
* Don’t Hate Me ‘Cause I’m Indie and You’re Punk, “This is still what a feminist looks like“
* Scotsman.com, “Campaign aims to stop harassment in street“
* UnWinona, “I debated whether or not to share this story;” Jezebel, “Stranger on a Train: ‘I Would Fucking Kill You Bitch’”
* Memoirs of an Egyptian, “On sexual harassment: Dear men, you don’t know too much“
* Hanna Brooks Olsen, ““The learning process is something you can incite, literally incite, like a riot.”“
* Jezebel, “Don’t You Dare Ask Me Why I Look Mad“
* Khaleej Times, “Teaching women to stand up for rights”
* Sign a petition about ending street harassment in Egypt.
* There’s a new anti-harassment campaign in Mumbai, India, called Chal Hatt Tharki.
* Hollaback launched 7 new sites
* Contact Bowlmor and the New York City Transit to complain about this offensive subway ad.
* Activists in South Africa launched a website about street harassment
* The anti-sexual harassment public service announcement signs are now up in several Washington, DC metro stations!
* The Stop Street Harassment book is available in paperback for $15.
* Submit art about street harassment for the VoiceTool Product exhibit in San Francisco, CA
* The Adventures of Salwa campaign has a hotline for sexual harassment cases in Lebanon: 76-676862.
* In Bangalore, India, there is a helpline for street harassment 080 – 22943225 / 22864023
15 Tweets from the Week:
4. @lesellele #Streetharassment is not about compliments but about sexualized aggression and reminding a woman of her “place”
6. @SirJoshBennett Thinking about street harassment. About what role a man’s voice can have in helping to stop that sort of violence.
11. @S_Takoza @hkearl Mariam Khaled “7 years” from the 2nd protest against sexual harassment in #minia #EndSH https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=194828347315746&set=a.192331694232078.47809.191475237651057&type=1&relevant_count=1 …
12. @thetrudz There goes a Black man justifying street harassment. File this under “all the goddamn time.” But cop harassment of you is wrong, right? FOHShare on Facebook